Saturday 4 May 2013

Toilet roll reclaimed for Paper Saturday

Last week I learned about a Japanese artist, who made wonderful art installations out of the small paper rolls. I made an instant attempt of my own.
Today I make a kind of "sketch" or another tryout, and I will show you a few process pictures.
I start with a pencil sketch of the motive. Here I added a little pastel to give it colour.



For cutting I use this cutting tool, which is very useful and comfortable to hold (like a pen).


In the picture below you can see the cut line, following the outline of my drawing.
If you have a very detailed motiv you need to start with the inner lines, as the material is rather vulnerable.



Here are the two ladies "standing" up/out from the roll.



Originally my idea was, to let them face each other, but that didn't work out.
This cutting process is really interesting to me, and I have done this, lying flat on thin cardboard when I was young(er).

Have a wonderful week end you all!

Sharing this on Paper Saturday

10 comments:

  1. That's amazing! You can hardly tell it's a TP roll when you're finished. The ladies look quite classy in spite of their humble beginnings -- or maybe because of their humble beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they are so lovely. I'm glad to hear you're still coming up with artworks from toilet paper rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!
      I visited your blog and wanted to comment on your post with your mermaid and turtle. They are so wonderful! Love that turtle!!!

      Delete
  3. Love them...great idea. Amazing what you can do with a toilet roll... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaaanz toll - gefällt mir sehr gut! LG, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool! was it hard to cut them so smoothly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cat! I take two rounds of cutting, maybe even three would be better. It can be difficult to follow the first cut. And the one from last week was surely much more demanding than this one! I really love this process of extracting figures out of the paper (rolls).

      Delete
  6. I am so i pressed with your re-claimed/purposed toiletpaper roll art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I really had fun working with my toilet paper roll too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am back home from my break and it was a great surprise that you have made some more art out of paper toilet rolls! You make me smile :)
    I hope you will have more next Saturday!
    ManonXx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!